At Artistic Dentistry located in San Clemente, California, Dr. Amir Nikraz offers periodontal treatment for our patients with gum disease. This is important, because if gingivitis (a mild form of gum disease) is left untreated, it can progress into periodontitis. While improved oral hygiene can often restore gum health while in the mild stage, once it advances it is much more difficult to resolve.
If plaque spreads below the gum line, bacteria cause toxins to release which then irritate your gums. These toxins cause the body to respond to constant inflammation as the tissue in the mouth and the bones supporting your teeth break down. Once the gums pull back from the teeth, spaces (pockets) form and the gums and become infected. With time, these pockets become deeper as gum tissue and bone is destroyed, potentially resulting in tooth loss.
Periodontitis can be treated using any of the following procedures:
– Scaling and root planing: a deep cleaning of the root surfaces, sometimes followed up with antibiotics.
– Gum graft surgery: where exposed tooth roots are covered with gum tissue to prevent continued recession and bone loss.
– Bone grafts: reversing some of the damage from lost bone and tissue.
– Dental crown lengthening: adjusts the gum and bone levels to expose more of the natural tooth.
– Dental implants: replaces a lost tooth or teeth by placing an artificial tooth root into your jaw via a tooth or bridge.
– Pocket reduction: a procedure done to the pockets, by folding back the gum tissue, removing the bacteria, and securing the tissue.
If you are experiencing problems with your gums, we can help! To schedule an appointment with Dr. Amir Nikraz and our Artistic Dentistry team, please call 949-366-1177 today. We can provide professional dental cleanings, scaling and root planing methods, and laser gum surgery to help our patients in San Clemente, California, needing periodontal help.