Gum disease attacks the gums and tissues that surround and support the teeth. This infection is a major cause of tooth loss in adults. Gum disease is caused by plaque, the sticky bacteria that form on the teeth. Gum disease is usually painless, so you may not know that you have it. However, the following are some symptoms of gum disease:
– Gums that bleed easily
– Gums that are tender, swollen, or red
– Receding gums
– A bad taste that will not go away
– Loose or separating permanent teeth
– A change in your bite
Be aware that there are some things that can increase your risk of developing gum disease, including:
– Poor dental hygiene
– Using tobacco products
– Uneven teeth that are hard to clean properly
– Certain medicines, including some anti-epilepsy drugs, cancer therapy drugs, and oral contraceptives
If you suspect that you have gum disease, visit our dentist at Artistic Dentistry today. The sooner gum disease is treated, the better. The early stages of gum disease can usually be treated by a professional cleaning at our office and daily brushing and flossing at home.
We welcome you to contact our office today to learn more about treatment for gum disease in San Clemente, California, and to schedule an appointment with Dr. Amir Nikraz.